Farewell to Salwick Signal Box 1889 - 2017
A tribute to Salwick (No. 2) Signal Box, which was officially closed on 11th November 2017 following 128 years of service. The sequence is ordered chronologically, beginning with photographs from 1984/5 when the canopy survived at the nearby station. The following steam tours are then shown passing through:
- 60009, The Fishwick Fellsman, 1 August 2003;
- 45690, The Blackpool Belle, 29 August 2005;
- 45407, The Backpool Express, 25-27 October 2005;
- 61264, The Blackpool Illuminations Express, 5 November 2005;
- 6233, The Fylde Coast Express, 8 April 2006;
- 6233, The Fylde Coast Express, 5 June 2010;
- 46233, The Fylde Coast Express, 16 June 2012 (returning to BN light engine having turned at Farington).
The final shots show some of the last service trains to pass the box prior to closure, at around 10:00 p.m. on 10 November, prior to final closure at around 1:30 a.m. on the Saturday morning. This section of line is closed until the end of January, when it will re-open for trains heading to Blackpool South, following extensive work, including electrification as far as Kirkham (and ultimately to Blackpool North by the end of March).
Free weekly email digest
Get your free weekly round-up of the latest railway videos