The Shillingstone Railway Project
Shillingstone Station was built and opened by The Dorset Central Railway (DCR) on 31st August 1863 and survived until 1966 when it fell victim to the infamous Dr. Beeching’s cutback of the railway network. Part of the Somersey & Dorset Joint Railway, it is the last surviving station built by the DCR so it is vital this remarkable building is preserved, for both architectural and historic reasons.
This was a small station built to the north east of the mile-long village of Shillingstone (formerly known as Shilling Okeford). The main station buildings were situated on the up platform, which was the shorter of the two. The much longer down platform had no buildings on it, apart from a small but attractive wooden shelter.
The Shillingstone Railway Project aims not only to restore the station and available surrounding area to how it was in the early 1950s and 1960s, but also to enhance it. Much has already been achieved!
Find out more at www.shillingstone-railway-project.org.uk
Free weekly email digest
Get your free weekly round-up of the latest railway videos